Classes start November 13, 2018!

Request Information

Fill out this brief form and an admissions advisor will contact you within the next day.

By clicking the button below you agree to be contacted by CTU about education services (including through automated and/or pre-recorded means, e.g. dialing and text messaging) via telephone, mobile device (including SMS and MMS), and/or email, even if your telephone number or email address is on a corporate, state or the National Do Not Call Registry, and you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. You understand that your consent is not required as a condition to purchase a good or service.

Military Credit Transfer FAQs

How would my military training and experience be applied to my chosen degree program at Colorado Technical University?

CTU uses American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines to determine if your military training, occupations, and experience are applicable to your degree program.

In order for military credit to be awarded, the military training, occupations, and experience listed on your military transcript must match the courses/outcomes that are part of your degree program at CTU. Since CTU operates on a quarter hour credit system, any ACE credit recommendations must be converted to the quarter hour system. A PLA evaluator will help you with this process.

If I am deployed or transferred will I be able to continue my degree program when I reach my new assignment?

Certainly. CTU understands that military personnel are frequently deployed and transferred. Our programs are ideal since they are accessible as long as you can connect to the Internet. If you are unsure or know that you will not be able to continue your coursework for the length of your deployment or while en route to your new assignment, just contact your Academic Advisor to discuss a number of military friendly solutions.

Do I have to be on active duty to have my military training and experience applied towards transfer credit at CTU?

Absolutely not. We will evaluate all of your military training and experience whether you are on Active Duty, Inactive, Retired, or Separated, from any branch of service, including the National Guard and Reserves.

In addition to my military training and experience, what else may be applied as transfer-in credit towards the degree I want to pursue?

CTU will evaluate any previously completed college coursework (“C” grade or 2.0 or better) or standardized tests (e.g. AP, CLEP and DSST examinations), completed prior to, during, or after your military service, for transfer credit. In order for transfer credit to be awarded, the coursework or tests completed must match the courses/outcomes that are part of your degree program at CTU.

CTU will also evaluate any certifications (e.g., MSCE, MCP) or work experience, achieved prior to, during, or after your military service, for proficiency credit. In order for proficiency credit to be awarded, your certifications or work experience must match the courses/outcomes that are part of your degree program. CTU also offers Fast Track, a set of technology-driven learning assessments which allow students to earn credit for existing knowledge and apply that credit toward their Associate or Bachelor’s degree.

How many credit hours can I expect to get for my military training and experience?*

It varies. Military personnel will have varying amounts of credit applied to their degree program based on specific training. On average, military students at CTU earn about 20 credits, which is equivalent to four to five courses. There are many variables that go into determining transfer credit eligibility, so your situation may earn you more or less transfer credits.

If training or MOS does not carry ACE credit, it cannot be accepted as transfer credit. The ACE recommendation needs to carry 2 semester hours of credit in order to be applied.

What are CLEP and DSST examinations and do they count as credit towards my degree? Where can I take these exams?

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a credit-by-examination program to achieve college-level credit. CLEP offers tests in a variety of subject areas (English/Literature, Math/Science, Social Science/History, Business, and Foreign Language) that, if taken and passed, can satisfy undergraduate requirements. CLEP tests can be taken as many times as needed. However, if you don’t receive a passing score on a test, you must wait six months before retaking the same test. More information about CLEP tests is available at

The DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) provides another avenue to earn credit through examination. DSST also offers tests in a variety of subject areas (Business, Physical Science, Humanities, and Social Science) that, if taken and passed, can satisfy undergraduate requirements. More information about DSST tests is available at personnel can take CLEP and DSST tests free of charge. Talk to your Education Officer or Test Control Officer for more information and testing procedures. Study materials and practice examinations are available at most of these offices.

* Not all credits eligible to transfer. Acceptance of transfer credit is at the sole discretion of CTU. See the university's catalog regarding CTU's transfer credit policies.