Hardware & Software Requirements
In order to have a quality learning experience while taking courses in the online modality, Colorado Technical University recommends that your primary computer (the computer used to access course materials and on which you will be required to install course-specific software) meets or exceeds the specifications listed below.
The CTU Mobile App will not accommodate all program assignment requirements; a computer that meets or exceeds the specified requirements is needed to complete the chosen degree program successfully.
In addition, please refer to the Notes section at the end of this document. Mobile app specifications also are proved in the table below.
|Requirement||PC Users||Mac Users||CSET Programs* PC Requirements||Additional Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration Requirements||Mobile App Users**|
|Operating System (OS)||Windows 10||Mac OSX 10.14||Windows 10
Engineering programs: Windows 10 w/ 64 bit required
|PC Users: Windows 10 (10S is not supported)
Mac Users: OSX 10.14
|Android 5.x and newer (9.0 recommended)
iPhone or iPad with OS: iOS 11 and newer (iOS14 recommended)
|Processor||1Ghz||Intel Processor||1 Ghz||See PC or Mac Users requirements||n/a|
|Hard Drive Space Available||30GB minimum||30GB minimum||30GB minimum||30GB minimum||n/a|
|Audio Device||Headset or speakers (some courses require a microphone)||Headset or speakers (some courses require a microphone)||Headset or speakers (some courses require a microphone)||Headset or speakers; Microphone required||n/a|
|Display/Video Card||Capable of 1280 X 800 resolution and Direct x 9 or later with WDDW 1.0 driver||Capable of 1280 X 800 resolution and 16 bit color||Capable of 1280x800 resolution and Direct x 9 or later with WDDW 1.0 driver||Capable of 1280 X 800 resolution and Direct x 9 or later with WDDW 1.0 driver||n/a|
|Internet Connection***||Download speed 5 Mbps; Upload speed 1 Mbps||Download speed 5 Mbps; Upload speed 1 Mbps||Download speed 5 Mbps; Upload speed 1 Mbps||Download speed 5 Mbps; Upload speed 1 Mbps||Wi-fi or Mobile Data****||Word Processing*****||Microsoft Office 365||Microsoft Office 365||Microsoft Office 365||Microsoft Office 365||Microsoft Office 365|
|Web Browser||Firefox, Edge, or Chrome||Firefox, Chrome, or Safari||Firefox, Edge, or Chrome||Chrome (preferred), Firefox, or Safari||Firefox or Chrome (for iOS also Safari, or Puffin)|
|Web Camera||n/a||n/a||n/a||Minimum: 640x480 resolution; Recommended: 1280x720 resolution||n/a|
|Additional Equipment||Engineering programs: Graphing Calculator; Flat head screwdriver, Needle nose pliers w/snip, Phillips screwdriver; Safety Goggles|
* College of Computer Science, Engineering and Technology (CSET) programs include: Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Technology, Information Technology, and Systems Engineering.
** Windows phones are not supported.
*** Mbps is Megabytes per second; Lower connection speeds may impact performance with viewing videos, live chats, and other areas within the portal.
**** Standard mobile data rates/charges may apply.
***** Access to download Microsoft Office 365 is provided upon the student’s enrollment at CTU.
- Students are required to have regular access to a computer that meets or exceeds the required specifications for online courses.
- Browsers not listed in the minimum requirements as well as the Linux operation system may not fully function with online courses and are not supported by Colorado Technical University’s Technical Support
- Other required course-specific software is provided as a part of the student’s course materials. Several courses contain software that require students to use a PC. Students should contact their Student Success Coach for more information.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is a complimentary download that needs to be installed in order to access some features in the Virtual Campus.
- Those who may access courses from their place of employment, as well as Military Organizations and Military bases, may have restrictions on the type of content allowed through courses accessed from these locations and is beyond Colorado Technical University’s ability to predict or control.
- The use of a Chromebook is not recommended for CSET programs.