Michael E. Alexander, DM
Doctoral Professor of Management
Retired Air Force Officer. Criminal Justice professional. Advocate of student success.
- Doctor of Management (DM), Colorado Technical University (2008)
- MBA, Webster University (2003)
- Graduate Certificate, Human Resource Management, Chapman University (1992)
- BS, Liberal Studies with concentration in Business, Excelsior College (1978)
- AAS, Personnel Management, Community College of the Air Force (1973)
Professionally, CTU is my third career. My first career was the U.S. Air Force from which I retired as a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer in 1992. Shortly after that, I started working in the correctional field. I worked for the largest private correctional corporation, Corrections Corporation of America. I was with them until 2002 and worked at three different prisons, two in Tennessee and one in California. I’ve been with CTU since 2004 when I was hired as an Assistant Professor and became Chair of the Criminal Justice Department in 2005. In 2008, I was promoted to the Director of Education for the Denver campuses. Effective February 2012, I accepted an appointment as a full Professor of Management for the CTU Doctorate Program.
At CTU, I serve or have served on the Doctoral Strategy Committee Voting Member (2012-Present), University Graduate Program Committee Voting Member (2012-Present), University Academic Committee Voting Member (2008-2012), Center of Excellence for Faculty Development (2010-2012), and Criminal Justice Program Committee Voting Member (2004-2008)
Academic Specialization/Focus at CTU
Business and Management and Criminal Justice
Why are YOU IN?
I believe that “Education is Power”. I’m IN because at CTU we provide our students the opportunity to gain this power by supporting them as they reach their educational goals.
What is your teaching philosophy?
My teaching philosophy is to share in the responsibility for my students’ success. While I can’t do the work for them, I certainly can work hard to create a positive learning environment.
Aside from higher education, what else are you passionate about?
Golf and horseback riding
- Coons, L. M., Alexander, M. E., Yates, T., and DePorres, D. (2013). “Adjunct Faculty Engagement: An Investigation and Recommendations for Action and Ongoing Research”, The Proceedings of the 14th International Academy of Management and Business Conference, http://iamb.net/CD/CD13-IAMBSA/MS/37%20Coons_MS.pdf.
- Alexander, M. E.(2011). “The Development of Romantic Relationships between Female Correctional Staff and Inmates”, National Institute of Corrections. http://nicic.gov/Library/025139.
Awards or achievements
- CTU Online Educator of the Year Award Nomination, Faculty (2013)
- CTU Online Educator of the Year Award Nomination, Faculty (2010)
- USAF Meritorious Service Medal, contribution to national security (1992)
- Distinguished Graduate, USAF Non-Commission Officer Academy (1989)
- American Correctional Association
- “Adjunct Faculty Engagement: An Investigation and Recommendations for Action and Ongoing Research”, (January, 2013), Co-written and co-presented for the 14th International Academy of Management and Business Conference
- Chaired the International Business Session, (January, 2013), for the 14th International Academy of Management and Business Conference