Gail Whitaker, DM
University Dean, Business and Graduate Studies
Business Professional. IT Specialist. Lifelong Learner.
- Doctorate in Management (DM), Technology and IS, University of Maryland University College (UMUC) (2010)
- Doctor of Management (DM), Organizational Process Management, University of Maryland University College (UMUC) (2009)
- Masters of Science, Information Technology, University of MD University College (2005)
- Graduate Certificate, Information Systems Specialist, George Washington University (1989)
- Masters of Science, Labor Studies, University of the DC, Washington, DC (1987)
- Bachelor of Science, American University, Washington, DC (1983)
Dr. Whitaker previously served as dean for the School of Business at Virginia International University (VIU), where she was responsible for the oversight of all of the School of Business professional certifications and Bachelor’s and Master’s programs. She has also served as the President of her own management consulting firm, Whitaker Consulting Services (WCS), and has more than 25 years of management training. Dr. Whitaker has served as Managing Director for the SEED School of Maryland, an academically rigorous statewide collegepreparatory boarding school; CTO for National Council of La Raza (NCLR), the largest national Hispanic advocacy organization in the United States; Director of the Office of Academic Computing Services for the University of Maryland; and Director of IT for the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).
Academic Specialization/Focus at CTU
Why are YOU IN?
As the University Dean, College of Business, I want to help students reach their ultimate potential and achieve goals beyond their imagination. Here at CTU, we are scanning the job market to help ensure we are updating our programs to include the relevant skills needed today and into the future. I am proud to be a part of a team that is committed to changing lives through education.
I am here to help students achieve their educational goals and professional dream. Once you get there, you have achieved something that no one can take away. Watch Gail's CTU Story.
What is your teaching philosophy?
My parents always emphasized education as the key to open doors to many of life’s opportunities. I remember my mom saying, “They can repossess your car or foreclose on your house, but they can never take away your education.” I laughed then, but now understand this truth. After completing my Bachelor’s degree, I continued on to earn two Master’s and a Doctorate degree - all because I constantly heard my mom describe education as a powerful tool that can catapult your passion into a career, and can help you achieve goals beyond your imagination.
Aside from higher education, what else are you passionate about?
I am passionate about reading anything and everything, watching classic movies, and taking historical tours of museums, towns, buildings, etc.
- Whitaker, Gail. (2009). The Influence of Organizational Commitment on Volunteer Behaviors: The Case of Religious Institutions; Dissertation, ProQuest/UMI
Awards or achievements
- “Teacher of the Year,” Virginia International University (2009)
- Organizational commitment