Make Your New Year’s Resolutions Stick: 5 Great Tips
Goodbye 2015, hello 2016! Do you have your list of 2016 New Year’s resolutions prepared? Making the resolutions is only a small part of the journey; completing resolutions and making sure they stick is the rest. In this post, we’ll provide five tips that will help make your resolutions one part of a wonderful 2016.
5 Tips for New Year’s Resolution Success
Trying to tackle New Year’s resolutions on your own can be very difficult. Thankfully, we’re here to help you make 2016 your best year yet. These five tips are universal for resolutions of all types; no matter what you’re trying to accomplish this year, these tips may help guide you toward success.
- Work your way up: Don’t jump headlong in to any new lifestyle change; that’s a recipe for burnout and failure. Instead, slowly but surely build toward your end goal. To provide an example: If you’re looking to exercise more often, don’t commit yourself to hitting the gym seven days a week. Start with one or two, then increase when you feel ready.
- Write everything down: Tracking goals is a great way to hold yourself accountable and get a great sense of accomplishment as you get closer to finishing. You can do this with a journal, notebook, calendar, or even a smartphone app.
- Create rewards: If you’re successfully working toward a resolution, give yourself some credit! When you’re planning your resolution, set benchmarks throughout so you can reward yourself for the hard work you’ve put in. If you’re trying to lose weight, for example, reward yourself with a new piece of clothing with every five pounds you drop and then keep off.
- Find support: Tackling resolutions with a friend, family member, or colleague is a great way to stay on track. Here’s an example: If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to go back to school or obtain a new degree, and you’re finding it to be very challenging, confer with your classmates. They’ll likely have great feedback and support to offer, which will help you push through any hardships.
- Don’t give up: This is probably the most important New Year’s resolution tip of all. Nothing is ever accomplished without any setbacks. Take this in to account as you work on your resolutions; if you suffer any setbacks or failures, don’t give up. Push through these issues and continue with your resolution.
Wishing You a Great 2016
We hope these resolution tips will help you as you enter the new year. From us at Colorado Technical University, we hope your 2015 was great, and that your 2016 is even better! Happy New Year!
Is going back to school one of your 2016 New Year’s resolutions? Colorado Technical University has degree programs that leverage what you already know.