Five Reasons to Use and Download Microsoft Office 365
Having the right knowledge and technical skills may help you succeed academically and professionally. Knowing how to use Microsoft Office is one of the skill sets that you will develop throughout your courses at Colorado Technical University.
CTU is now offering Microsoft Office 365(O365) and Office 2016 so students will continually have the newest version of the software to use during classes.
Here are five reasons to use O365 and to download Microsoft Office 2016 today:
- Work anywhere, anytime, on any device: Office 365 is a cross-platform software so you can use it on your computer and mobile devices. You can use the software online through any device connected to the Internet, and you can download some of the applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneDrive to your computer(s) and the apps for your mobile devices. This can help you complete your assignments at convenient times and learn how to be successful on different platforms.
- Professional advantage: According to IDC research, Microsoft Office proficiency is in the top 3 competencies for employment in high growth/high-salary positions through 2020.1 Additionally, it is the only software named in the top in the top 20 skills.
- New features: O365 and Microsoft 2016 have new features that can make the software easier to use such as the collaboration, version history, tell me, and smart lookup features.
- Always have the newest version: Office 365 is a cloud-based software. With Office 365, you do not need to wait for a new version to come out for the latest features. As Microsoft shares updates, you will be able to access them immediately. Knowing how to use the newest features can provide a professional advantage and may make the software easier to use.
- Microsoft OneDrive: You have 1TB of cloud-based storage on OneDrive to save your documents. If you are using O365 online, your documents are automatically saved to the cloud so you can access them from any device. If you are using the downloaded software, you can choose your storage location. Saving your documents to multiple places is a good habit to develop so you do not lose your work due to computer or Internet problems.
You can also download the OneDrive app for your mobile devices through the App Store or Google Play, which will allow you to save the files from your mobile device or open any file from your OneDrive account. It is recommended to change the settings on the OneDrive app so any document on that device is saved and backed-up to OneDrive, which will allow you to access the files anywhere.
To learn how to upgrade to O365 or use the software, go the Student Success Center on the Virtual Campus and click on MS Office tab.
Dr. Lisa Haas is the Director of Learning Solutions at Colorado Technical University. Haas received her Ed.D. in Higher Education and Organizational Change from Benedictine University. With over 15 years of experience in higher education specializing in online education, adult learning, and educational technology, Haas is dedicated to improving educational experiences for students through innovation and technology.
1Anderson, C. and Gantz. J.F. (2013). Skills requirements for tomorrow’s best jobs: Helping educators provide students with skills and tools they need [white paper]. Retrieved March 25, 2016 from http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/education/docs/idc_101513.pdf