5 Tips to Prepare for a Job Search
By Kristi Decker, M.Ed., CTU Sioux Falls Campus Director of Student and Career Services
With graduation just around the corner, students need to ensure their resume and interview skills are in top shape. That’s why the Colorado Technical University (CTU) Sioux Falls campus is hosting a Career Boot Camp on Friday, April 26 for the Sioux Falls community. This free event will feature a LinkedIn training session, hands-on cover letter and resume writing seminar and a panel discussion with local HR leaders and CTU alumni.
For job seekers outside of the Sioux Falls area, here are a few tips to help you prepare for your job search and get ready for important interviews:
- Expand your job search beyond the classifieds and job boards. Recruiters are being more creative about where they post open positions. Expand your search by regularly checking company websites and social channels (like LinkedIn or Facebook) and setup a Google Alert to get notifications about companies you’re interested in straight to your inbox.
- Update your online profiles. You never know when a recruiter will do a web search for your name, so it is always wise to keep your online identity looking professional and up-to-date. Follow this link for more tips on adding value to your LinkedIn profile.
- Tailor your resume to the job. Your resume is not one size fits all. Think of what skills and experiences you have that are relevant to the particular position you’re applying for and include them in your resume
- Always include a cover letter with your resume. When emailing a resume, include a brief and professional note in the body of the email with a formal cover letter and resume attached.
- Prepare for the interview – practice makes perfect. Standing in front of a mirror may feel silly, but the more prepared you are the more confident you will feel.
Kristi Decker is Campus Director of Student and Career Services at CTU’s Sioux Falls campus, and leads the Academic Advising, Registrar and Career Services teams. As a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW), Kristi is able to lend her expertise to students in the process of resume and cover letter writing.
Stay in the know.
Subscribe to CTU’s blog and receive fresh updates directly to your inbox. Join us.
Image credit: istockphoto
Terms and Conditions
By providing your mobile number, you agree to receive text messages from Colorado Tech via its mobile text message provider. You may opt out of receiving messages by texting the word STOP to 94576, or simply reply with the word STOP to any text message you receive from Colorado Tech.
While CEC or its mobile text message provider will not charge end users for receiving/responding to promotional messages, depending on the terms of your mobile phone plan, you may incur a cost from your mobile service carrier to receive and respond to any promotional text messages (standard messaging and data rates/fees and other charges may apply). Charges will appear on your mobile phone bill or will be deducted from pre-paid amounts. Current participating/supported carriers are: Alltel, AT&T, Boost, Cellcom, Cellular One, Cellular South, Cincinnati Bell, Cricket, Element Wireless, Golden State Cellular, iWireless, Metro PCS, Nextel, nTelos, Plateau Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, Viaero Wireless, Virgin, and more.×