5 Tips to Prepare for a Job Search
By CTU Staff
With graduation just around the corner, students need to ensure their resume and interview skills are in top shape. That’s why the Colorado Technical University (CTU) Sioux Falls campus is hosting a Career Boot Camp on Friday, April 26 for the Sioux Falls community. This free event will feature a LinkedIn training session, hands-on cover letter and resume writing seminar and a panel discussion with local HR leaders and CTU alumni.
For job seekers outside of the Sioux Falls area, here are a few tips to help you prepare for your job search and get ready for important interviews:
- Expand your job search beyond the classifieds and job boards. Recruiters are being more creative about where they post open positions. Expand your search by regularly checking company websites and social channels (like LinkedIn or Facebook) and setup a Google Alert to get notifications about companies you’re interested in straight to your inbox.
- Update your online profiles. You never know when a recruiter will do a web search for your name, so it is always wise to keep your online identity looking professional and up-to-date. Follow this link for more tips on adding value to your LinkedIn profile.
- Tailor your resume to the job. Your resume is not one size fits all. Think of what skills and experiences you have that are relevant to the particular position you’re applying for and include them in your resume
- Always include a cover letter with your resume. When emailing a resume, include a brief and professional note in the body of the email with a formal cover letter and resume attached.
- Prepare for the interview – practice makes perfect. Standing in front of a mirror may feel silly, but the more prepared you are the more confident you will feel.
Image credit: istockphoto