Financial Aid Guide for Military Students

  • Posted on: December 4, 2014

If you are active duty, reserve, or a veteran service member, you may be thinking about earning a college degree as a way to potentially help you advance in your military or civilian career. The good news is there are a variety of financial aid programs — available to you and potentially your dependents — that can assist you with education expenses. Read our Financial Aid Guide to learn how you can apply your military education benefits to complete your degree.

CTU Military Financial Aid Guide Cover

Military Experience Has Its Benefits

Your military service may qualify you and your dependents for education benefits that you are able to apply toward a college degree. The majority of financial aid available to military students is administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in conjunction with the various branches of the armed services. When used in combination with traditional sources of federal and state student aid, up to 100% of tuition and eligible education expenses may be covered, which could give you and your dependents the opportunity to achieve your educational goals.

Get To Know Your Financial Aid Options

As a military or veteran student, you may have access to financial aid options that are not available to civilian students. Here are the most common ways you might receive tuition assistance to cover education expenses:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® is an education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty or were honorably discharged from active duty after 9/11. Those eligible may receive up to 36 months of entitlement and may be eligible for benefits for 15 years from the last period of active duty.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® — Active Duty (MGIB-AD) also known as Chapter 30, provides education benefits to veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® — Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) provides education benefits to eligible members of the selected reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and Air National Guard.
  • The Yellow Ribbon Program is administered in conjunction with VA by participating degree-granting institutions, like CTU. The program is available to eligible veterans and dependents and provides additional funds for your education program without affecting your GI Bill® entitlement.
  • MyCAA Program is also known as Spouse Tuition Assistance and can provide up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance to military spouses.
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of select veterans.
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) is an education benefit program for reserve and National Guard members. Eligibility is determined by the Department of Defense and Homeland Security.
  • Wounded Warrior Scholarship Program annually provides full tuition for an online degree program to 25 wounded service members and 25 spouses of wounded service members. Learn more at
  • Liberty Grant is available to veterans of the US Armed Forces and their eligible spouses. The grant is based on financial need and is worth up to 5% for Associate, Bachelor's and Master's programs and 10% for Doctoral programs. Download the Financial Aid Program

Steps To Determine Eligibility For Financial Aid

Once you have been admitted into the university of your choice, your next step is to work with a financial aid advisor to determine eligibility for aid. At CTU, you can connect with a Military Education Benefits Specialist (MEBS), who will work with you on your individual eligibility plan.

You may be asked to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), at If you're a military student seeking military education benefits, it is recommended that you connect with your Education Service Officer (ESO) on base.

The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility to receive a variety of financial aid — from Federal grants and loans to work-study opportunities. The office of Federal Student aid estimates that it will take, on average, 55 minutes to complete an initial FAFSA application online. To expedite the process, you'll need a FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA online.

The material presented here is for informational purposes only. Future costs and financial aid estimates are subject to change. Results of the calculator are not guaranteed and special circumstances are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office on a case-by-case basis. The accuracy of your estimated awards is based on the information you provide. It is intended for undergraduate domestic students. The estimated awards are based on the assumption that the student will complete the FAFSA. Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Not all programs are available to residents of all states. CTU cannot guarantee employment or salary. 4435 North Chestnut Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80907. 852-1234567 0873937 03/15

Also gather all pertinent information such as your social security number, tax returns, W-2s, bank statements and other financial documents. Visit the FAFSA website for a list of all required documents.

Whether you are an active duty, reserve, or veteran service member, your military training and service experience may be eligible for transfer credit which can reduce your tuition and time to graduation. Learn more at

Move Toward Your Future At Ctu

Since 1965, CTU has been dedicated to serving the military community. Its first campus opened in Colorado Springs to meet the needs of students from five nearby military bases. Today, the university has expanded, offering degree programs at a second campus in Denver, and also online through its virtual campus. Of course, you can choose to study on campus, online or both. That's what makes CTU unique — you can fit your education around your life, and for the 34% of CTU's student population who are military members and veterans, that means having the flexibility to choose when, where and how to earn a degree.

Get Started: Connect With Us

If a college degree is part of your future goals, to learn more about our degree programs — including Associate, Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral degrees — in Business and Management, Criminal Justice, Engineering and Computer Science, Health Care, Information Systems and Technology, and Security Studies.

If you have questions along the way, we're here to help.
Call or visit us online to learn more.
Call: 855.230.0555

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Classes start October 2, 2018!

Request Information

Fill out this brief form and an admissions advisor will contact you within the next day.

By clicking the button below you agree to be contacted by CTU about education services (including through automated and/or pre-recorded means, e.g. dialing and text messaging) via telephone, mobile device (including SMS and MMS), and/or email, even if your telephone number or email address is on a corporate, state or the National Do Not Call Registry, and you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. You understand that your consent is not required as a condition to purchase a good or service.