Classes start July 3, 2018!
Business and Management
Michael E. Alexander, DM
- Program Chair - Online, College of Doctoral Studies
- Alamosa, CO
- Retired Air Force Senior Non-Commissioned Officer. Criminal Justice professional. Advocate of student success.
- Doctor of Management (DM), Colorado Technical University (2008)
- MBA, Webster University (2003)
- Graduate Certificate, Human Resource Management, Chapman University (1992)
- BS, Liberal Studies with concentration in Business, Excelsior College (1978)
- AAS, Personnel Management, Community College of the Air Force (1973)
Dr. Michael E. Alexander is the Program Chair of CTU’s Online College of Doctoral Studies. Dr. Alexander has been a part of the CTU team since 2004 when he was hired as an Assistant Professor and became Chair of the Criminal Justice Department in 2005. In 2008, Dr. Alexander was promoted to the Director of Education for CTU’s Denver campuses. In February 2012, he accepted an appointment as a full-time Professor of Management for the CTU Doctorate Program and was promoted to Program Chair in January 2015.
Professionally, CTU is his third career. Dr. Alexander’s first career was as a member of the U.S. Air Force, from which he retired as a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer in 1992. Shortly after that, he started his second career, in the correctional field. Dr. Alexander worked for the largest private correctional corporation: Corrections Corporation of America. He was with Corrections Corporation of America until 2002; in that time Dr. Alexander worked in three different prisons, two in Tennessee and one in California.
At CTU, Dr. Alexander serves or has served on the Doctoral Strategy Committee Voting Member (2012-Present), University Graduate Program Committee Voting Member (2012-Present), University Academic Committee Voting Member (2008-2012), Center of Excellence for Faculty Development (2010-2012), and Criminal Justice Program Committee Voting Member (2004-2008).
Academic Specialization/Focus at CTU
Business and Management and Criminal Justice
I believe that “Education is Power”. I’m IN because at CTU we provide our students the opportunity to gain this power by supporting them as they reach their educational goals.
My teaching philosophy is to share in the responsibility for my students’ success. While I can’t do the work for them, I certainly can work hard to create a positive learning environment.
Golf and horseback riding
- Alexander, M.E. (2014). Chapter 7: Management and supervision of inmates. In Editorial Board (Eds.), Corrections (pp. 102-117). Schaumburg: Words of Wisdom, LLC.
- Alexander, M.E., Coons, L. and Chavez III, J.G. (2014). “Avoid Falling in Love with an Inmate: Corrections Staff’s Perception of Causes and Solutions for Female Staff Romantic Involvement with Inmates”. Desert Water Correctional Outreach. Volume 11, Issue 9, http://desertwaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Corr_Oasis_Sep-2014.pdf
- Alexander, M.E., Coons, L.M., Carter, B. (2013) “Violating Professional Ethics: Sexual Attraction of Inmates”, The Archives of the ACA 143th Congress of Corrections, http://www.aca.org/conferences/Summer2013/
- Coons, L. M., Alexander, M. E., Yates, T., and DePorres, D. (2013). “Adjunct Faculty Engagement: An Investigation and Recommendations for Action and Ongoing Research”, The Proceedings of the 14th International Academy of Management and Business Conference, http://iamb.net/CD/CD13-IAMBSA/MS/37%20Coons_MS.pdf.
- Alexander, M. E.(2011). “The Development of Romantic Relationships between Female Correctional Staff and Inmates”, National Institute of Corrections. http://nicic.gov/Library/025139.
- CTU Online Educator of the Year Award Nomination, Faculty (2013)
- CTU Online Educator of the Year Award Nomination, Faculty (2010)
- USAF Meritorious Service Medal, contribution to national security (1992)
- Distinguished Graduate, USAF Non-Commission Officer Academy (1989)
- American Correctional Association
- “Adjunct Faculty Engagement: An Investigation and Recommendations for Action and Ongoing Research”, (January, 2013), Co-written and co-presented for the 14th International Academy of Management and Business Conference
- Chaired the International Business Session, (January, 2013), for the 14th International Academy of Management and Business Conference