Bob Lally, retired U.S. Navy Captain
University Director, Homeland Security
Colorado Springs, CO
Security Expert. Naval aviator. Strategic thinker.
- MS, National Security, National War College (2000)
- BS, Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (1982)
- Graduate of the Executive Level Leadership School, Naval Post Graduate School (Newport, Rhode Island)
Bob Lally is responsible for the strategic direction for all security university programs related to homeland, cyber, critical infrastructure, public safety, and health. He guides the development of bachelor, masters and doctoral degrees, as well as certifications and training programs for government contractors.
Lally’s active duty naval aviation career spanned 28 years, and he commanded in combat at multiple levels. His background includes a full spectrum of senior leadership and management from unit level organizations of some 200 people to 3500 task force level, where readiness was essential to mission success.
Academic Specialization/Focus at CTU
Why are YOU IN?
It is truly exciting to be with CTU. I am in because of the programs we are building in the area of Security Studies.
What is your teaching philosophy?
My teaching philosophy centers on the practitioner–scholar model. I want to take a practitioner (student) who desires the next level of education, make him/her a scholar at that level, and set them up with a great job commensurate to their practitioner experience with their new educational background.
Aside from higher education, what else are you passionate about?
I am passionate about my family – my wife Katie and my two children, Elizabeth and Bobby. I also enjoy fly fishing, golf and hunting.
Lally has authored and published a number of articles, and has moderated and presented at homeland security forums.
Awards or achievements
- Defense Superior Service Medal
- Legion of Merit (2)
- Bronze Star
- Air Medal (2 Strike/Flight)
- Navy Commendation Medals with two Combat Distinguishing devices
- Board advisor for the Journal for Homeland Security Education
- Member of the Homeland Security Educational Consortium
- Naval Aviation Proceedings
- BigHorn Fellow – Colorado Healthcare Association